The First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood began in 1983 with the merging of two rich Presbyterian traditions: that of the First Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg, founded in 1866, and the Edgewood Presbyterian Church, which dates back to 1891. Both churches have a long history of growth and evangelism as well as support for local and international mission.
The cornerstone of the original Edgewood Presbyterian Church was laid on September 20, 1892 and dedicated on May 28, 1893. The site was within the confines of the present building. By 1910 the Edgewood community was growing and due to an increase in membership, the Sunday School facilities were expanded to include the basement of the church. Within five years plans were presented for a new building. Dedication of the new Edgewood Presbyterian Church was held November 17, 1918. Today the church proudly bears the plaque of an "historic landmark."
Passing under stone carvings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John above the main doors, one enters an ornate Gothic sanctuary. Built in the form of a cross, the sanctuary reveals beauty in every direction. The striking painted glass windows are of the "grisaille" type made popular in France and England. They are lightly tinted gray glass, painted and placed in lead settings. The painted glass windows depict a number of symbols and a variety of crosses.
Delicate wooden carvings throughout the sanctuary represent symbols of Christian history, and are irreplaceable. An oak communion table and central pulpit stand before the huge carved facade which contains the organ pipes. Significantly, there are two Baptismal fonts, representing both the Wilkinsburg and Edgewood congregations. Baptisms are alternated between those fonts, reaffirming the history of these two fine churches.
The beauty of the sanctuary is matched only by the power of the Moller, four-manual organ, which graces the chancel area. 2001 marked the completion of organ renovations that included re-leathering of the main organ, new wind chests, new voicing, and a new Antiphonal Organ.
The First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood, on busy East Swissvale Avenue, continues to be a Community Church. As a congregation, we seek to serve the entire community, bringing a splendid history and tradition of service into the future, to the glory of Jesus Christ, our Lord.